Antique Cameras


When I was in college I bought a couple of old Leicas just for fun. One was from the 1930’s and the other was post-war. Not what you would call modern cameras.

I started working for Kenny Young at Ben’s Camera Exchange in downtown Kansas City in 1971. Kenny was an avid camera collector and I got quite serious about learning about old camera and the history associated with them. I began by reading all the books I could find about the history of photography and cameras.


I heard about a book called “Glass, Brass & Chrome, a History of American 35mm Cameras.” I mentioned it to a customer who worked at the Kansas City Library. The next day he brought me a copy of the book. When I asked him when it was due, he said not to worry about. I read the book and put it on my bookshelf. Years later, after I became a Christian, I saw the book and realized that it was stolen from the library. I took it back downtown and dropped it in the book return. I then tracked down another copy of the book and paid about $50 for it. Well worth it to have a clear consequence.

After I started my own business and began having spare money, I started buying classic cameras. I shopped Shutterbug Magazine and traveled the country to camera shows. Eventually I owned hundreds of cameras, many unique and of great interest to collectors.

In 1990 I opened a Photography Museum in the lobby of Mathis Photo Inc. at 7801 Floyd, Overland Park, KS. After about five years, I began to sense that the cameras were becoming a chore to maintain if not a burden. Plus I went to a camera show in Independence. It was at a Holiday Inn. There were about 25 dealers setting around talking cameras and about six customers, none of whom looked like they were planning to spend any money. I then drove up the street to a gun show. There were hundreds of dealers with thousands of people inside and a line out the door.  They were all waiving cash and trying to buy all sorts of weapons including military style assault rifles that I thought were illegal. The contrast couldn’t have been greater. I realized that the world had changed and nobody was going to get excited about old cameras. Guys would rather pretend they were Wyatt Earp or Rambo than Ansel Adams.

I asked an international camera dealer friend named Roger Reinke to stop by the next time he was in Kansas City. I sold him about half of my collection. I didn’t have any seller’s remorse, so I had him come back and sold him most of the rest.


With the advent of the internet and eBay, I sold a few more. I now have just a couple of the most attractive ones left. Some of the most expensive cameras were not necessarily display worthy, only rare or historically significant.
In 1996 I decided to shift my pastime to music after 25 year away from playing. I still teach a few classes on the history of photography and have a little bit of classic equipment to show, but I just haven’t seen an outpouring of excitement for historically significant cameras in the past 30 years. Maybe they will come back someday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Web Site

Ernst Haas

Castle Enchante - Nice, France